Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Blogging break

I've been blogging for 3 years on this blog, but I began in 2007 with a private blog for family and friends. Like so many other Mom bloggers, this has been a great outlet to express myself and just meet other people from so many other places that I would have never had the pleasure of meeting otherwise.

Here on Inchworm Chronicles, my home on the web, there are 217 posts contained in these "pages" and lots of resources that I found that I wanted to spread the word about. Did you know 43 of you have found what I have to say interesting enough to subscribe to my posts? Thanks for that! It is a small number, comparatively to the many blogs with thousands of subscribers, but you are special to me!

Knowing there are people interested in what I have to say keeps blogging relevant to me. I already have an online family journal for just my husband and I, so this blog is my own forum to talk about what's meaningful to me. Comments tell me who my audience is and who wants to hear more. Thank you for those of you who have commented in the past.



Since I started blogging, social media in various forms has exploded. Infographics abound and many people don't have the attention span or patience to read something that they can't glance at and get a general idea of it in 10 seconds.

Somehow, sharing my ideas and thoughts and neat things I find has lost some of its excitement because anything I share can be found anywhere else. I miss a lot of the Blogger mom blogs in the "old days" (what, like 6 years ago?) where the layout wasn't anything fancy and the posts were simply daily musings of mothers. It was like a good sit-down with a cup of hot cocoa and a nice long chat.

I do miss the simpler times, when blogging was new for so many mothers. As I admit this, I feel like Miss Matty lamenting the intrusion of the railway into her corner of England from book/movie "Cranford". ;-)`It seems like "sharing" has changed with the times, not only the ways it's done, but also the reasons for it. The desire for connectivity alone has made way for the desire for ambition and building businesses and popularity, in many cases. I am sad because with the changes, some good things get lost along the way. Like the human connection!

Since blogging for me, at the root of it, has been about connection and creativity, I am taking a blog break and putting my attention and focus into human connection offline. Spending time with my husband and kids and doing my creative work as a Mom and homemaker is where all my creative energy is flowing currently, and I am okay with that. The little time I have leftover is spent on enjoying time with my friends and extended family in real life, even using "old fashioned" telephones! I still enjoy reading others' blogs and learning from you and enjoying what you have to share.

Thanks for walking the path with me here. Perhaps I will be back to blogging, time will tell. Until then, my blog here will remain up and available to peruse. My heartfelt wish for you: May life be sweet for you and each day be a blessing come true!


 

16 comments:

  1. My dear Eve ~ I hear what you're saying about the way communications have gone, and indeed have had similar blog breaks myself in the past, (as have many), partly because I've felt that spending too much time online and that this was not what the LORD wanted.
    So I totally understand your wish to invest in your dear ones more, person to person.
    Blogging is good and bad mixed...it depends how it is used, to the good or ill of others.
    Yours was/ is so very much the former!
    I have been grateful for the sweet, faithful ideas of my bloggy friends, so that is also good.
    We'll miss you here...perhaps one day the Inchworm will be back...metamorphosed!!!
    Pleas email me if you do decide to start up again, I don't want to lose touch.
    Also do keep visiting at Candlemas Cottage, if you find the time.
    Thank you for your company and God bless you,
    xxx Alex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very right, blogging can be a wonderful tool to spread wisdom and friendship. It is all a cycle, sometimes the desire to share it for all the world to see is there, and sometimes there's that need to pull back for a season. Thank you for understanding and sharing your encouragement with me! I'll be seeing you! (Your blog is absolutely charming)

      :0)
      Eve

      Delete
    2. I agree. Blogging has become about ad space and popularity and sometimes, it's just not 'real' it's what will draw readers *giveaways* and the like. I too wish it were back to what it started out as. Oh well, times change. I'll miss your musings, but I think less screen time for all of us is a good thing. Good luck!

      Delete
    3. It sure has. Which helps those who really need the money in this poor economy, which is understandable. But it does change the whole culture of blogging. Does make me wonder, what's next? What will be the 'next' way women choose to connect and support each other? Thanks for your comment. :-)

      Delete
  2. Oh dear Eve, I will miss your posts. I haven't been following you for a very long time; but I have loved your thoughts. However, I do understand all of your reasons for taking a blog break and they are wonderful reasons. I myself think about doing the same thing. I have cut back a bit on my blogging because I really need to put more focus into genealogy. I too see a change in the the blogging over the last couple of years. I have been concerned for along time about what technology is doing to us all. So many children in our day have cell phones and they are always texting. It's getting so they don't know how to communicate anymore. It's rather scary, I think.
    Blessings to you and enjoy the moments with your family because that is the most important work you can do.
    I will hope to see you back at least once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, LeAnn,

      Thank you for saying so. That warms my heart so much. Yes, I agree, technology can be a boon or a detractor from peaceful, focused lives.

      Texting has helped my husband and me communicate when he is away for work or when I am the middle of taking care of the home and family, but like you, I see so many young people don't know how to talk to others because they are too used to having a phone/computer do it for them! Well, maybe this new lowered age for missionaries will give them an incentive to build their interpersonal skills, right?

      Hope you enjoy your geneology work. Being in the temple is the best experience, that goes along with it. Totally worth unplugging to me, lol. I enjoy your blog and am grateful for the posts you put up. They are such gifts of enthusiasm and positivity. I'm still reading! See ya around. :-)

      Blessings,
      Eve

      Delete
  3. Building readership is hard! I don't have time to spend working on that either.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Maybe if there were 36 hour days, right?

      Delete
  4. Thank you for all of the inspiration you offer. What a wonderful woman you are! I totally get what you said about the need to connect...without other motives. I love how you share who you really are. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that is very nice to hear. I appreciate your friendship!

      Delete
  5. Hi Eve!
    I haven't visited you in a while as I was having my own issues:( I so understand your reasons for taking a break. It seems Facebook and other much quicker social media is taking over as you say:( I do wonder about the future of mummy bloggers. I learned so much in my initial days of researching homeschooling from blogs. I guess forums will have to be the place for that now. I will keep your blog link up in my blog so I will know if and when you start blogging again:) I've really enjoyed reading your blog since I first started following you. Enjoy the break!
    Xo
    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Rosemary :-) I'm glad to have met you and have enjoyed your blog, as well! I am so glad you have enjoyed reading the posts here. Good luck with the changes in your homeschooling recently and I'll see you round the internet :-)

      Eve

      Delete
  6. I was surprised to read about your "hiatus" from blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a time and a season for everything. Even blogging! I enjoy it but would rather focus that energy instead by connecting offline with other people, perhaps starting a book club or gathering with other women in my area. :-)

      Delete
  7. I've enjoyed meeting you and reading some of what you've written, but understand completely if you must stop. It's wise to know your priorities and choose to follow them. Times and seasons, yes, Ecclesiastes 3 is right on. I'm glad you're leaving your blog up for perusal/reference at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a little late replying. Thanks for your comment, Amber. I've really enjoyed reading your posts. I admire you and your sweet family, from the posts I've read on your blog. Motherhood takes so much energy and requires energy and desire in order to do it, it's certainly never an easy balance, is it? At least, for me, it isn't. There comes a time when something that fed the desire and excitement wanes and then its time for something new to take its place. That's how this feels to me. Blessing to you and I wish you well in your blogging, but mostly, your own mothering path!

      Delete

Thanks for your comment today! I love reading your thoughts, too. :-)